.

Monday, January 10, 2005

American Football

American Football 1% Swank 99% Skank
Ok, so I thought I would write a blog regarding the tremendous feat that occurred at Lambeau Field in Green Bay Wisconsin Sunday night. However, first thing's first, I must proudly admit that I despise the Green Bay Packers (100% Skank). Now, this is not your everyday garden variety kind of lothe. To give you some sort of reason for these feelings we have to go back to the the root of lothing which begins my Freshman year of college.
I remember it as though it were yesterday, I was with my dad riding in the elevator up to what was to become my new home for the next two years. It was the 10th floor of the Towers South dormitory on the upper campus of the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, which incidentally became infamous for wild parties, pie fights and general mischief. As I patiently waited for the elevator to approach the floor, my father (who was standing with my minifridge) made fast friends with some rather large green and gold adorning football player-looking guys and insisted on telling them that he was holding a fridge full of cold beer and that the party will be wherever I was (Thanks, dad). Little did I know this was not the end of the infamous color combo "green and gold." Eventually, the elevator finally made it to the top and with a quick ding and swift opening of two large doors it finally all came to fruition. Staring straight ahead was a bulletin board full of the colors that would begin my quest for "Packer Misery."
Throughout the next series of months that would eventually lead to years, I found myself smack dab in the middle of "Cheese Head" land and "Packer Pride." Every Sunday was filled with obnoxious cheers, high fives and Busch light, enough so to make the carpet that was eventually replaced in the halls smell like a VFW on a Saturday night. Don't get me wrong, those obsessed Favre-worshiping swiss cheese chapeau-wearing fans became like brothers to me and I am grateful I was able to meet each and every one of them. However, for a couple of hours on Sunday when they were all in their own little Lambeau world the tides would change and it would suddenly become everyone elses' headache.
Now if you think I would just sit back and watch the whole Packer phenomenon engulf my new home without a word, you are seriously wrong. I became what was known as the anti-christ of each and every Packer fan who resided on 10th floor Towers. I would make sure to cheer and carry on over every single point or favorable play the opponents made against my newfound arch nemesis. I made it my job to pour salt in the wound of each loss the Green Bay Packers suffered throughout the 4 and 1/2 years I called Eau Claire Wisconsin my second home.
I had the purple and gold Viking horn/braid combo hat thingy, and I wore it with pride. I became the Chicago Bears biggest fan and cheered them on throught their hideous stab at pretending to know how to play football. And when the Green Bay Packers won the Superbowl a couple of years later, who was the first to claim they only did it by paying off the refs and announcing at a busy tavern if it wern't for their sneaky underhanded staff, they wouldn't have won a cribbage game at the local senior citizens center? It was all me.
So, this brings us to the game of all games. The game that would bring validation to my years of antagonistic jeers and obstinance. On Janurary 9th 2005 The Minnesota Vikings stuck it to the Green Bay Packers at their precious Lambeau Field for their last chance to make it to the 2005 Superbowl. I can't even begin to express my absolute freakin joy when those last seconds fell off the timer in a bizarre sort of slow-motion, and the Vikings were declared the champions right in the middle of their opponents home field. It was like my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one with a little meniacle jackpot thrown into the mix. The only thing I could imagine that would have made the experience better would have been the whole thing to have taken place 10 or so odd years earlier.
Timing aside, the lesson I have learned from all of this conniving banter is that we will all have our moment of glory and for some of us it comes a little later than others. Nevertheless, the ultimate victory and chance to bask in someone elses' American football misery is still just as sweet.

Posted by Jen

No comments: